Dealing with Frizzy Hair
A few weeks back I brought up the topic of frizz. Blog reader Ariel was kind enough to share some pictures and experiences on frizz. Here is her hair in high and low frizz states
I agree with Ariel on her hair. I do think that as her curls have the ability to clump as you can see in the low frizz picture, there is very poor definition in the high frizz state.
We had a discussion on the process of styling her hair and here it is
Q: How do you style your hair and what products do you use?
I wet my hair daily or sometimes every other day depending on the circumstances and I use tresemme naturals or suave naturals conditioner which I leave in, I'm not really sure if it should be considered washing since i'm not big on "shampooing". I use a cocamidopropyl betaine based cleanser by CURLS… even then I only use that when my scalp feels dirty, and I may also cowash with a cheap V05 conditioner (helps a lot with protein).
Q: I am wondering when you finish wetting your hair and apply the leave in, do you lightly comb or brush or scrunch at this point to encourage clumping? After doing this, do you leave your hair alone to dry? Continuously touching the hair while it is damp and drying usually encourages frizz.
I apply my leave-in when i'm detangling my hair and I finger detangle. I don't touch my hair, but a lot of times other people do =/ lol, i've also noticed that a lot of times as soon as I go outside..pretty much immediately, my hair just frizzes. I'm not sure if it's because I have fine/thin hair.
Q: Do you use any holding products e.g gel to style?
I use my leave-in conditioners as my stylers because it's simple and I could never use gel because I cannot get the hang of it, it ALWAYS flakes. This is my first summer with natural hair so I haven't been sure how to combat the frizz and since i'm a college student I don't really have much money in my budget to try a lot of things so I've been wearing frizzy hair.Ok so here are my final tips
1. Your general process is really good overall for your curl and your hair - i.e washing with shampoo only when necessary, styling on wet hair, finger combing.
2. Those people touching your hair are messing up the curl - start smacking the hands away
3. The reason hair frizzes immediately you go outside is because of the change in humidity, not because your hair is fine. This is the reason you need to use a holding product like a gel to stop your hair being affected by humidity. I totally understand being within budget and my suggestion is to try one of the herbal essences gels which are not that expensive. In order for the gel not to flake, use very little of it (like literally 2-3 finger scoops for your whole head).
4. If you still do not want to use gel or if where you live is very humid and gel is not working, there is nothing wrong with rocking with frizzy look.
1. Mahoganycurls on youtube seems to have similar curls, here she is styling her hair when it was shorter with a mix of gel and conditioner.
2.Elle from questforaperfect curl talks about looking at humidity and dew points before styling curly hair.